Thursday, December 30, 2010

First Night Of Therapy

Well I finally had my first post-surgery therapy session tonight and I was not looking forward to it at all.  Everything I read and everything everyone told me was that therapy is going to be hell.  I know it is only the first night but if this is a sign of things to come then tonight is good news.

The session went very well.  Beth (my PT) found a spasm in the back of my shoulder in the beginning of the session that was more painful than any of the shoulder stretches she did.  I can't feel the spasm under normal conditions but when she hit the spot I really felt it.  She tried to massage it out but it really didn't go away. Since I can't feel it unless there is pressure on it, it is no big deal.

As far as the stretches, Beth is limited to what she can do for the first 2 weeks but for what she can do she said I am further along than expected.  Although the stretches were painful to an extent they were not anywhere near as bad as I thought they would be and my arm was able to be stretched a lot further than I expected.  We did about 30-45 minutes of stretches and then 15 minutes of ice and "electric shocks" for a lack of better terms.  When it was all over I actually felt really good.

It is now 2 hours after therapy and I am not feeling any pain in the shoulder.  It could be because of the pain killers but still...I am feeling really good right now.  And for the first time in 2 weeks things are finally making a turn for the better.  Yeah, I may not be able to get any sleep yet again tonight but with tonight's successful therapy session I don't care.  It is only going to get better from here on out. (Unless I am in pain come tomorrow.  LOL)!

No comments:

Post a Comment