Monday, December 20, 2010

Surgery Was A Success

Well, I am finally getting around to updating this post surgery and I am happy to say the surgery was a success.  The doctor reattached my labrum with 3 anchors and shaved down my inflamed rotator cuff as well as my bicep tendon.

The surgery lasted 1.5 hours as I mentioned it went smooth.  I only had one "reaction" after the surgery and that was dry heaving when I sat up for the first time.  The night after the surgery is a blur seeing that I was still coming down from the after effects of the anesthesia and pain killers. 

3.5 days after surgery and I am feeling great.  I am now only using the pain killers for when I go to bed and that is just as a precaution.  I am up and doing stuff around the house (some of which I know I probably shouldn't be doing) just because I am sick of sitting here doing nothing.

I just took my bandages off and it was not what I was expecting.  For some reason I had it in my head that I only had 2 incisions but to my surprise I have 4.  They may have told me this after surgery but again, that is all a fog to me.  There no bruising which shocked me as well.  Right now my shoulder looks like it should be attached to Frankenstein instead of me.  But what's 4 more scars to add to my long list of existing scars right?

I have my one week follow up with Dr. Forsythe on Wednesday at which time I think I get my stitches out and find out when I start PT which from everything I have read and heard is gong to suck.

All in all the surgery and recovery to date is 100% better than I expected...let's just hope the rest of the recovery is this smooth.

 (PS - sorry for any typos....it is pretty damn hard to type on handed.  LOL)


Photo of the immobilizer and the "ice water" brace.  Ice water brace was worn for 3 days and the immobilizer needs to be worn for 6-8 weeks.  UGH!

 Photo of the "fishing wire" being inserted through my labrum and the metal anchors.
Photo of my labrum "reattached" to the bone

Not sure what this is a photo of but that is a pretty nasty looking tool




This last 4 photos shows my arm right after I removed the bandages.  Very Frankenstein-ish isn't it?

1 comment: