Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Home Exercises

In addition to the exercises and stretching I do at PT 3 days a week there are home exercises I have to do the other 4 days of the week.  They consist of the following:

1.  Bend over and put my right hand (my good arm) on a flat surface and let my injured arm hang straight down.  I then rotate my hips / body in a clockwise motion 20 times and then in a counter-clockwise motion another 20 times.  What this does is loosens up the shoulder without actually using the shoulder to loosen it up...if that makes any sense.  The motion of the rotation of my body is gentle enough to loosen it up.  If I was to just rotate my shoulder it could cause damage to it. (I have found out that this is called the Codman Circumduction Exercise and an actual complete description of the exercise can be found by clicking here.)

2.  Laying on my back, I take a golf club and hold it like I am doing a bench press.  I then push it up until both arms are fully extended and then slowly start moving my arms back towards my head.  I move them until I feel a slight stretching pain in my bad shoulder and hold it there for a few seconds then bring it back forward and then down to my chest.  I do 3 sets of 10 three times a day.

3.  Still laying on my back I take the golf club and grip it like I am bench pressing.  Instead of pushing the golf club up to the point my arms are extended I keep my arms bent (golf club about 2-3" off of my chest) and just move my arms from side to side while keeping my elbows at my side.  I also do 3 sets of 10 three times a day.

For now that is all I do at home but next Thursday starts the more aggressive PT so we will see what gets added to my daily list.

1 comment: