Friday, January 28, 2011

Last Night's Session / New Exercises / Sleep

Last night's session was the toughest by far.  Besides my shoulder being sore I walked out of there sore in my back, hips, thighs and abs because I was tensing all of those muscles during the session.  Beth stretched the crap out of me and she added 1 new stretch that turned out to be pretty brutal.  Now I am trying not complaining about these stretches because I know they are all part of the process...but man did it suck.  It wasn't so much pain as it was an intense tightness in the shoulder...almost to the point that I began to wonder if my arm was just going to come right off.  And yo know what, that might have been a better option at the time.  Let me tell ya...I am glad it is over.

I did get 3 new exercises to do at home and I will add photos as soon as I can find them.  All 3 are done with red resistance bands.  For the first one I grab the band,  put my elbow at my side, extend my forearm out 90 degrees from my body then take 2 decent sized side steps to my right.  I do 1 set of 10 for this.

The next exercise is essentially the same.  The only difference is I turn my body around so that the bad comes across the front of my chest first and my steps are then taken to the left.  I then follow the same instructions and do 1 set of 10.


For the third exercise I grab each end of the band with each arm while my arms are extended outward.  I then pull back in a rowing motion until my elbows are even with my sides.  I don't want to go past that neutral plane in this exercise just yet.  For this I did 2 sets of 20.  These 3 exercises are now added to my home activity.  The only difference between the actually exercise and the photo is that I stand straight up.  I do not bend my legs.

As far as sleep goes it is still a struggle.  I have not slept all the way through the night since the surgery.  Last night was actually the first night I slept in my bed the entire night since Dec 15th.  That doesn't mean that I slept the entire night...it just means I was too lazy to get up and come downstairs.  It just seems like every move I make I feel in my shoulder and I just can't get comfortable in the first place.  Eventually I will get a full night sleep...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment