Thursday, January 13, 2011

Painful Therapy Session and Muscle Guarding

Well, tonight's therapy session was my roughest one by far.  Beth added a new exercise on the pulley system that caused a lot of pain.  Well, not so much pain as soreness.  Instead of pulling my arms straight up I hold my arms out to the side and pull that way.  It was amazing the pressure that it put on my shoulder but no pain no gain I guess.

The stretching session was exceptionally brutal tonight.  I damn near jumped of the table in pain for the first time during one of the stretches but the pain was not in my shoulder which I found weird.  I mentioned this to Beth and told her my pain was in my upper arm instead of my shoulder.  Beth said this is called "muscle guarding". 

Muscle Guarding Explained

Before a foot race, a runner gets into position, poised to take off with a burst of strength and speed the moment the starting pistol fires. The condition of this runner’s muscles at the time following getting into position and preceding the starting pistol firing is a prime example of “muscle guarding”.

Muscles can be held in a position of readiness to act much like when the body experiences the stress response (better known as the “fight or flight” syndrome). When this happens, the muscles are not in a state of relaxation at all, but rather partially contracted in preparation for some action needing to be taken (or, quite often, action that the brain simply perceives as needing to be taken).

Another familiar example is when a person treats a formerly injured but now healed muscle tenderly, even tentatively, out of fear of re-injuring it. This too is muscle guarding.

Because of such physical demands (as for an athlete or performer), fears (as for a patient recovering from an injury), or chronic stresses (as for most of the working class), a muscle can become accustomed to the guarded (semi-contracted) position and remain that way, as though that were its natural state. 
  
What Does Muscle Guarding Feel Like?

When a person’s body is muscle guarding, they experience soreness, tenderness, and pain around the affected area, as well as tension of the tendons. What’s worse, all of these symptoms only end up validating to the brain the appropriateness of the muscle guarding and reinforcing the need to continue doing so. 

Consequences of Continued Muscle Guarding

A common consequence of muscle guarding is muscle fatigue, not only of the muscle in question but those supporting and opposing muscles forced to compensate for the muscle being guarded.

Another possible repercussion of muscle guarding is the inappropriate and potentially harmful hair-trigger firing of some of the body’s reflexes.

The irony about muscle guarding is that the innate intelligence of the body has the muscles in question “believing” that they must be guarded so in order to protect the full body from possible further harm. As it turns out, though, this muscle guarding is more likely to cause further potential harm than that which the body is aiming to prevent by muscle guarding.

At its core, muscle guarding is an effort by the body to defend itself against a perceived threat (whether remembered, anticipated, or actually present). But when no threat is present and the muscle guarding persists, then the behavior has the opposite effect, promoting more problems than it aims to resolve.

Well, it is now 2+ hours after therapy and even though I am still sore it does seem to be getting a little better.  I am going to throw the heating pad on it and take a couple of more pain killers an hope that I am feeling better tomorrow morning.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

*muscle guarding info taken from http://www.rennwellness.com*

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your blog, it is very informative.

    Interesting info about the muscle guarding. What to do about it? I am four weeks post SLAP surgery and struggling big time with what must be muscle guarding. I have pain in the muscles on the back of my shoulder all the way to my neck. Also a burning pain down my triceps and biceps that comes and goes. Did you experience anything like this?

    Also, how long did you take pain medication and what specifically did you take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing it.
    I have similar condition in my right shoulder. Bankart, Hill-sachs and Slap from a dislocation have resulted in muscle guarding. I'd like to know if you'd overcame the trauma and how to treat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great information found here, I really like your blog. Thanks very much for the share. Keep posting.
    Bio Facial Skin Rejuvenation

    ReplyDelete